Monday, January 12, 2015

Grantland Staff's Best Songs of 2014

Grantland, one of my favorite sites for pop culture commentary, recently had their editors each select their own, personal, top song of 2014. I liked this list because there is quite a variety, and it looks like each editor picked something that they personally liked, even if it wasn't critically acclaimed or popular.

There is also a great mix of genres, which is a challenge for me. I don't listen to much folk rock and very little mixtapes, so I can only hope to appreciate them. I also think the Grantland staff has a streak of hipster, more than once they selected songs that seemed pretty obscure.

Also these are not ranked in any way. You can review the list for yourself here.

Andy Greenwald's pick: Jamie xx, "All Under One Roof Raving"



I have occasionally read some of Andy's work on Grantland, but he isn't someone I go over there specifically to find. I do, however, think that he and I have some similar musical tastes. I loved this selection. It is well mixed, well presented, and it does what it sets out to do. I'm not a huge DNB fan, but the lounge feel of this one works for me. The laid back, chill vibe is fun and interesting.

Steel drums are always risky, they easily fall into the trap of becoming a focal point rather than an instrument, but that isn't the case with this one. I'm not such a fan of the oppressive sampling, but I will let it slide here because 1) I know this isn't made for me and 2) this song is great and 3) I discovered the rest of Jamie xx's discography, all of which is good, most of which is great, some of which is outstanding.

I also really enjoyed Andy's brief introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment